If you’re a Mac-user, chances are you don’t have antivirus software installed. For a long time, it was widely believed that Macs were immune to viruses and other nasty malware. The truth is, they’re not. And with more and more people making the switch to Mac, viruses are becoming more common.
In this article, we’ll talk you through the five best anti-virus software for Mac computers. Some are free, and some are paid – so there’s something for everyone.
1. ESET Anti-Virus for Mac
ESET is a paid anti-virus software for Mac computers that comes in at $39.95 for a one-year license. This effective tool claims to offer 100 per cent threat detection, and performs relatively fast compared to other ant-virus software. You can save money by opting for a two-year license, or by purchasing a four-Mac license – which is a fantastic option if your family or friends use Mac computers too. If you want to give ESET a go before you buy, they offer a free 30-day trial.
- Cost: $39.95 for one year, cheaper options available for two plus years and two plus devices
- Benefits: fast, 100% threat detection, 30-day free trial
- Learn more: www.eset.com/au/home/cyber-security
2. Bitdefender Antivirus for Mac
Bitdefender is undoubtedly one of the best anti-virus software for Mac computers currently available. Again, it offers 100% threat detection, and undertakes scans and analysis very quickly. What’s more, Bitdefender has a less than 10% system impact, meaning it won’t affect the performance and speed of your computer as it runs in the background.
Bitdefender has a variety of plans available, the most basic being a one-year license for $49.99. Two and three year licenses offer slight savings.
- Cost: many cost options, starting at $49.99 for one year for one Mac
- Benefits: fast, 100% threat detection, minimal system impact, 30-day free trial, a variety of pricing options
- Learn more: www.bitdefender.com.au/solutions/antivirus-for-mac
3. Norton for Mac
Norton Security for Mac does not provide 100% threat detection (tests suggest it picks up on 99.17% of malware thrown at it). It’s also not the fastest option available, so may not be your first choice. That being said, Norton offers a three and five device plan that covers Macs, PCs, and even smartphones. So if your household uses both Macs and PCs, Norton Security is worth considering.
- Cost: $64.99 for one year for one Mac, $89.99 for one year for three devices, and $109.99 for one year for five devices
- Benefits: three or five device plan that covers both Mac and PC devices
- Learn more: au.norton.com/macintosh-antivirus
4. Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac
Sophos is probably your best bet if you’re looking for a free anti-virus software for Mac. Its detection capabilities are equal to Norton Security. This software does have a minor impact on computer performance. Whether or not you will notice this depends on the specifications of your device.
- Cost: free
- Benefits: free, 99.17% threat detection
- Learn more: home.sophos.com/mac
5. Avast for Mac
Avast for Mac is another free option. While it does offer superior threat detection compared to Sophos (100% compared to 99.17%), it tends to have a significant impact on the performance of your machine. If you’ve got a brand-new, top-of-the-line Mac computer, this may not be an issue. But for the bulk of Mac users, the extra 0.83% protection just isn’t worth it.
- Cost: free
- Benefits: free, 100% threat detection
- Learn more: www.avast.com/en-au/free-mac-security
Need Help with your Mac?
Whether you need anti-virus software installed, malware removal, or any other Mac repair, we can help keep your Mac computer performing at full capacity. We can also help with your other Mac needs, including iPad setup and iPhone setup. So if you have any tech issues, feel free to give us a call. Phone on 1300 553 166 or fill out the form on this page.