The market for robot vacuums has grown rapidly in recent years due to advancements in technology, increased affordability, and a growing desire for convenient cleaning solutions.
These small, automated vacuum cleaners use sensors to navigate your home and clean up dirt, dust, and pet hair without help, making them a popular choice for busy individuals and families alike. Just set one up and let it do its thing while you go about your day.
How do robot vacuums work?
Robot vacuums follow four stages to clean floors: mapping, navigating, cleaning, and docking. Let’s take a closer look at each stage.
The first thing a robot vacuum does is map out your home using sensors such as lasers or cameras to create a 3D layout of the space. Next, it uses the map to find the best cleaning path considering furniture, tight corners, and other obstacles in the room.
With the path set, the robot vacuum uses sensors to navigate the room. For example, it can detect edges and move around furniture as it cleans. Many robot vacuums also come with virtual walls that you can set up to keep them out of certain areas.
While cleaning, the robot vacuum uses two brushes and a powerful suction to sweep up dirt and debris into an onboard dustbin. Upon completion, the robot vacuum docks itself to recharge.
What are the advanced features of robot vacuums?
Many robot vacuums come with advanced features such as:
- Mopping function – perfect for hard floors that require dry or wet mopping.
- Voice Control – voice-activated controls or can be integrated with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri. A simple command can start, pause, and stop the robot vacuum. This is especially useful if you’re in a hurry and need to clean up quickly.
- Self-emptying bins – some robot vacuums have self-emptying dustbins that can hold weeks’ worth of dirt and debris preventing the need to empty after each cleaning cycle.
- Multi-floor mapping – more advanced robot vacuums can create and remember multiple floor maps to allow them to clean different floors of your home without getting confused.
- Dirt Sensors – built-in sensors allow the robot vacuum to spend more time on dirtier spots of your home for a deeper clean.
- Connectivity – connect your robot vacuum to your wi-fi network and schedule cleaning times or adjust settings remotely using an app on your phone.
What to consider before buying a robot vacuum?
Like with any purchase, you have to consider your budget. Robot vacuums come in a wide range of prices.
Next, consider the size of your home. Some robot vacuums are better suited for larger homes, while others are better for smaller rooms and apartments.
Battery life is another key consideration when selecting a robot vacuum as it can have a significant impact on its usability and effectiveness. The longer the battery life, the more area the robot can cover and the less often it needs to be recharged. Battery life can vary widely between different models, ranging from around 60 minutes to several hours.
Which features are essential for your needs?
- Do you want one with remote control capability or voice activation?
- Are self-emptying bins important to you?
- Consider the noise level as well. If you’re buying from a physical store, test the noise level on its highest power setting to determine how loud it can be when in use
With the different brands and models in the market, it’s best to pick the one that suits your needs. And of course, check out the reviews of each one to see actual user experiences.
And lastly, make sure you have wi-fi installed in your home. Most robot vacuums require a wi-fi connection to function properly and to get regular software updates.
What are the benefits of having a robot vacuum?
Robot vacuums offer a range of features that can make your life easier and your home cleaner. By outsourcing vacuuming, you can relax and let the robot do the work. Robot vacuums can clean effectively on various floors, from carpets to hardwood to tile, and won’t damage your furniture or fall down the stairs.
But the benefits of a robot vacuum go beyond just cleaning your floors.
- They can help improve the indoor air quality in your home by reducing the amount of dust and allergens that circulate in the air. In addition, many robot vacuums come equipped with HEPA filters and large dustbin capacities, making them highly effective at capturing and containing airborne particles.
- And best of all, robot vacuums can minimize disruption to your daily activities.
- Features like scheduled cleaning and quiet operation, mean you can set your robot vacuum to clean your floors while you’re out of the house or even sleeping. So, you don’t have to worry about it interrupting your work or leisure time.
Our Final Verdict
So is buying a robot vacuum worth it?
The answer will depend on your individual needs, preferences, and budget.
If you want a low-maintenance solution that can keep your floors clean with minimal effort on your part, then a robot vacuum may be worth the investment. And if you have hardwood or other types of flooring that require special attention, many newer models come with special features and settings to give your floors the extra care they need.
On the other hand, if you have a limited budget or are looking for a more hands-on approach to cleaning your floors, then vacuums and mops that need you to operate them may be better suited to your needs.
Need help connecting your robot vacuum to your wi-fi?
At Computer Cures, our expert team can help you install wi-fi at your home so you can fully utilise the features of your robot vacuum. Whether you need a wi-fi setup or repair, we go through a systematic process that ensures you have the fastest, most stable internet connection possible. Give us a call on 1300 553 166 to see how we can help.